Income Tax Proposals
Tax Rate For Individuals
No Change in Income Tax Slab Rates For Individuals
Tax Rate: As Provided in Interim Budget 2019, Rebate u/s 87A worth ₹ 12,500 is available to Individuals having Net Total Income upto ₹ 5,00,000. Hence Individual having Income Below ₹ 5,00,000 are not required to Pay any Tax ( Though Basic Exemption is Still ₹ 2,50,000)
Tax on Super Rich: For Rich and Super Rich Individuals, enhanced Surcharge at the rate of 25% for Individuals having Income Exceeding ₹ 2 Crore and Surcharge at the rate of 37% for Individuals having Income Exceeding ₹ 5 Crore would be applicable.
Revised Effective Tax Rate and Example:
Income tax Slabs:
|Particulars||Slab Rate||Effective Tax Rate|
|0 – 2,50,000||0%||0%|
|2,50,001 – 5,00,000*||5%||5.2%|
|5,00,001 – 10,00,000||20%||20.8%|
|10,00,001 – 50,00,000||30%||31.2%|
|50,00,000 – 1,00,00,000||30 + 10% surcharge||34.32%|
|1,00,00,001 – 2,00,00,000||30 +15% surcharge||35.88%|
|2,00,00,001 – 5,00,00,000||30 +25% surcharge||39%|
|5,00,00,001 & Above||30 +37% surcharge||42.74%|
|1,00,00,001 & Above||30% + 12% surcharge||34.94%|
|0- 1,00,00,000 1,00,00,001– 10,00,00,000 10,00,00,001 & Above||Turnover(<400 Cr) 25% 25 + 7 % Surcharge 25 + 12 % Surcharge||Turnover(400 Cr+) 30% 30 + 7 % Surcharge 30 + 12 % Surcharge||T/o(<400 Cr) 26% 27.82% 29.12%||T/o(400 Cr+) 31.2% 33.38% 34.94%|
In Case of Individual, if Net Taxable income is Less than ₹ 5,00,000 , Tax Rebate of ₹ 12,500 is available . Thereby Net Tax Payable will be Nil (* In case of senior citizen, tax rate is 0% upto income of ₹ 3 Lacs and In case of super senior citizen (above 80 Years), Tax rate is 0% upto income of 5 lacs)
Example of Tax Impact to Individuals/HUF
|Gross Taxable Income||7,00,000||8,00,000||40,00,000||60,00,000||1,50,00,000||3,00,00,000||7,00,00,000|
|Deduction u/s 80C||(1,50,000)||(1,50,000)||(1,50,000)||(1,50,000)||(1,50,000)||(1,50,000)||(1,50,000)|
|Deduction us 80D:- Self :- Parents||(25,000) (25,000)||(25,000) (25,000)||(25,000) (25,000)||(25,000) (25,000)||(25,000) (25,000)||(25,000) (25,000)||(25,000) (25,000)|
|Net Taxable Income||5,00,000||6,00,000||38,00,000||58,00,000||1,48,00,000||2,98,00,000||6,98,00,000|
|Rebate u/s 87A||12,500||Not Available||Not Available||Not Available||Not Available||Not Available||Not Available|
|Education Cess @ 4%||–||1,300||38,100||68,310||1,95,615||4,37,625||11,37,237|
|Net Tax Payable||Nil||33,800||9,90,600||17,76.060||50,85,990||1,13,78,250||2,95,68,162|
INCOME TAX –PROCEDURAL MATTERS
Interchangeability of PAN and Aadhaar
- For any Individual not possessing PAN, Aadhaar Number can now be used as interchangeable with PAN for any matter where PAN is required
- It will Enable Crores of Individual Not Possessing PAN but having Aadhaar Number to File Income Tax Return.
- Proposal to Introduce Complete Faceless Scrutiny Assessment (The Scheme will Implemented in Phased Manner)
- Electronic notices to be issued without disclosure of name, designation and location of Assessing Officers.
Mandatory Return Filing
Certain New Categories of Individual Mandatory Required to File Income Tax Return (Even if Total Income does not Exceeds ₹ 2.5 Lacs as under)
• Expenditure incurred is more than ₹ 2 Lacs for foreign travel
• Electricity expenditure exceeding ₹ 1 Lacs
• Deposits in current account exceeding ₹ 1 crore
Prefilled Return Data
Prefilled tax returns forms pertaining to salary, bank interest, capital gain from securities and dividends, etc., will be made available for taxpayers for ease of return filing.
TAX CHANGES FOR CORPORATE
Proposals for Corporate
Tax Rate @ 25%
- Extension of Beneficial Tax Rate @ 25% to all domestic Companies having turnover upto 400 Crore in Financial 2017-18
Buy Back Tax
- Buy back tax made applicable even in case of Buy-back of shares by listed company @ 20% (plus surcharge & cess). (Once Tax is deducted by company, buy back is exempt in hands of Share Holders)
Public holding for Listed Co’s
- For Listed Companies, requirement of minimum Free Float Public holding Increased From 25% to 35% under monitoring of SEBI
IFSC Tax Benefits
- 100% profit-linked deduction in any 10-year block within a 15-year period to a unit in IFSC-International Financial Service Centre (GIFT City)
- Any dividend paid out of accumulated income derived from operations in IFSC shall also not be liable for Dividend distribution Tax
TDS on Cash Withdrawals
TDS @ 2% would be applicable on Cash Withdrawals exceeding ₹ 1 crore from a bank account in a Financial year.
TDS on Payments by Individuals
TDS at the rate of 5% to be applied on contractual work or professional fees payments (Whether for Business or Personal Purpose) made by an individual/HUF, where annual aggregate of payments for any contract exceeds ₹ 50 lakh in a year.
TDS on Life Insurance
TDS on taxable insurance payment required at the rate of 5% on net income component after deducting insurance premium ( as against earlier withholding tax at the rate of 1% on gross amount of pay-outs)
TDS on Immovable Property
While Purchase of Immovable Property , TDS deduction also required on value of ancillary charges such as club membership fee, car parking fee, electricity and water facility fees, maintenance fees, advance fees and any other charges of similar nature.
Tax Proposals – For Startups
Carry Forward of Losses
The Start-ups can now carry forward losses even if any of the co-founder is no more a member, if co-founders holding more than 51% shares are members of the startups.
Angel Investment Valuation
No Income Tax scrutiny on Angel Investment Valuation, even if value is higher than market value.
Capital Gain Deduction
Deduction is now provided till 31-03-2021 if the capital gain on sale of Residential house is invested in start-up provided that he should hold atleast 25% of shares of company.
Deduction for Housing Loan Interest
Additional deduction of ₹ 1.5 lakhs to individuals, for interest paid on loan, provided:
- Loan sanctioned by a financial institution between 1 April 2019 and 31 March 2020.
- Stamp duty value of property not exceeding ₹ 45 lakhs.
- Individual not owning any other residential property on date of sanction of loan.
Affordable Housing project
The carpet area limit for affordable housing projects for availing 100% tax holiday has been increased as follows:
|Cities||Maximum carpet area||Condition|
|Metro – cities||60 sq. mt.||The stamp value of any unit in project should not exceed Rs. 45 Lakhs.|
|Non – Metro cities||90 sq. mt.|
- Provision to transfer balance in electronic cash ledger from one head to another head
- Interest applicable on net cash liability (Earlier it was leviable on Gross Output Liability)
Litigations of Pre-GST Regime
- Sabka Vishwas Legacy Dispute Resolution Scheme, 2019 being introduced for quick closure of litigations from pre-GST regime (Central Excise and Service Tax)
Increase in Excise on Fuel
- Special additional excise duty and road and Infrastructure cess increased by ₹ 1 each on petrol and diesel.
- Proposal to increase Customs duty on products, such as tiles, vinyl floorings, CCTV cameras, auto parts, optical fibres, optical fibre bundle and cables
- Basic Custom Duty on Gold Proposed to be Increased to 12.5% from existing 10%
Non-resident receiving Gift taxable u/s 56
- Necessary amendments in under Section 9 of Income Tax Act introduced to clarify gift received India is income deemed to accrue or arise in India and taxable for non-resident in India.
- Deduction up to ₹ 1.5 lakh introduced for interest paid on loan taken to purchase an electric vehicle.
- Suggestion to GST council to reduce GST rate from 12% to 5% for electric vehicles.
Rationalization of STT on Options
- Securities Transaction Tax (STT) to be levied only on the difference between settlement price and strike price (Earlier it was levied on settlement Price)